Tuesday, September 25, 2012

What was in that fancy box?

Over the past ten years or so I have really come to believe in the practice of Feng Shui. I picked up the book "Move Your Stuff, Change Your Life: How to Use Feng Shui to Get Love, Money, Respect, and Happiness" on my break years ago-- I was curious, but not expecting anything. Shortly after I made adjustments according to the book a series of small, but exciting things happened seemingly out of the blue. Feng Shui? Not Feng Shui? Who really knows I guess, but a bit of reorganization has never hurt anyone. SO I do still practice it-- I'm not a nut about it, but I do find that when I unblock areas things seem to go smoother.

One of the things I did back when I first started was to clear out under my bed to get the mojo flowin'. One of the big red flags I had under the bed was my boxed and cleaned wedding dress from my first marriage. And yes, I was remarried. I took that box rigth out from under there and moved it-- into the closet. OK OK,  I know that any Feng Shui master would shake their head at this decision, but that's what I did.

Was I holding onto it for memories sake? Holding onto the relationship? Not that I was consciously aware of. I had every intention of donating the dress. I loved that thing when I saw it in the window of Jessica McClintock in '93, but seriously, who the hell would want it now!?

Today as I was making room in the closet for clothes my son has outgrown I came across the big, white, rectangular box as I had many times. This time however I was like like:

"You! Get the hell out!"

I put it in the kitchen next to a bag of other donations and packed them in the trunk as I dashed out the door to pick up my eldest at school.

After I scooped him up we ran some errands then went to the clothing donation box. I pulled in front and popped the trunk. I grabbed the stuff and put it in the chute. Into the big yellow box went the dress that I have been carting around for 15 years.

Nice!

I got back in the car and started to drive away. My son asked, What was in that fancy box?"

"Just a dress I was holding for an old friend and she doesn't need it anymore."


No comments: